At Marsh's Library in Dublin, cages line the back wall. Each cage is just wide enough to hold a small desk and chair and a floor to ceiling bookcase lined and stacked and jammed with massive leatherbound tomes, their Latin titles barely legible on their thick, dust free spines. The librarian who let me in during his lunch hour, "just for a quick peek," said that in the early 1700's, when Marsh's was founded as the first public library in Ireland, scholars were locked in. The books were too expensive, too precious to risk theft or damage. If you wanted to study, you squeezed behind that desk and worked by carefully-regulated candlelight and shouted for the librarian when you wanted to be released.

Gazing through the bars and wire into the scholars' cages, I thought about knowledge and what it must have meant to read and learn when this was what it took. Before the internet and e-readers, before Amazon.com and mass market paperbacks, before modern printing and education systems, Marsh's Library, with its cages and locks and keys, made information comparatively accessible.

Three hundred years later, information is cheap for most of us, but for many, the public library remains one of very few affordable sources of information. In my home state of Florida, the governor says that public libraries are unnecessary these days because everything is available online. The governor must not have visited many libraries, or he would have seen the lines of people waiting to use the internet. Even in a digital age, the library offers access to knowledge that is unavailable elsewhere. (Philip Pullman wrote about this, more eloquently than I can, here.)

Like many people who grew up in low income families, I know this firsthand. I was no scholar, and the public library of my small, depressed home town was no great citadel of learning, but, to me--a gawky kid from a dirt road in Frostproof, Florida--it was my access point, my key. The library was the only place I had ever been where I could have whatever I wanted. It is a cliche to say that the library opened up a world of knowledge and experience to me, that it started my journey in books to places I could never have imagined, but it's true.

There are cages in Marsh's Library in Dublin, but I wonder how many of those scholars heard the lock click behind them and felt, maybe for the first time, totally free.

Comments

Mistie
04/17/2013 1:38pm

Beautiful, Amy. Three cheers for libraries!

04/17/2013 2:49pm

Thanks, sis.

02/12/2015 10:44pm

It's become typical knowledge how the toys all of us give our kids to perform with like a child will help their understanding experience. It may be argued that each single toy we offer our kid helps them in some manner to create their abilities and personality and it is therefore 'educational'.

02/12/2015 10:45pm

The actual loyal client base for that Honda Social series will get a goody from the maker with the actual release from the eighth era model. The goal for that manufacturer using the release from the Honda Social 2011 model so that the sequence will still sell just like it did previously few many years.

08/25/2014 2:21pm

I found this informative and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and knowledge able.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

08/30/2014 7:39am

Marsh is a well renowned and the first public library in Ireland that have its complete history to provide the quality books to students and the people who love the book reading. It's my pleasure to read this post about the library that have a great history. If we educate more about this Marsh library to the people we can create more visitors to the library it is good for the people to know about its history.

09/03/2014 3:05am

Now and then I’ll stumble across a post like this and I’ll recall that there really are still interesting pages on the web. ^_^. Thanks.

Thanks for the article. Marsh's Library in Dublin is great for the students to get the books from there for the reading purpose. many people use these great resources for their reading purpose that is a great way of reading books. Most of the times the students that have a lot of reference books to read these types of great library can help them to make their education in a better way.

10/03/2014 12:50am

Oral health is the most important and many students in their education life do not take care of their teeth. That cause a big hygiene issue. If you are looking for the best dental treatment Cosmetic Dentistry Abroad can help you.

10/09/2014 9:40am

I am sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other related posts just to find what I was looking for. Many thanks!

10/28/2014 6:49pm

Written work or writing to be finished, issues to be unraveled, a school undertaking to be fabricated, for example, a diorama or showcase or different aptitudes to be rehearsed.

thank you of some of the articles I find this is one of the very interesting article to read, I like this possible for people not important but very useful for us to read

12/09/2014 10:02pm

I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed. You have provided great information in your post.

12/09/2014 10:03pm

You might write about the organization on the blog. You should announce it's terrific. Your blog expressions will enlarge your followers.

12/09/2014 10:04pm

I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!

12/09/2014 10:05pm

I was supposed to get your news and daily articles in my e-mail. However, I haven’t received anything yet. I checked the spam folder and found nothing. I will create a new account and will try again.

12/09/2014 10:06pm

I was excited to uncover this great site. I want to to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely savored every part of it and i also have you book marked to look at new stuff in your website .

01/12/2015 10:07am

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.

02/04/2015 9:22am

02/14/2015 1:19am

That is most certainly specially educative.. Thanks a lot regarding discussing this specific. You will discover entirely number of people who deal with your neighborhood.

02/23/2015 5:51am

You are absolutely right, author! There is a limited quantity of reliable sources in the Internet and most of them are not free. Interned remains to be full of common and rewritten info. Therefore, libraries are actual and nowadays.

02/24/2015 2:21am

Your own personal process ladies and also men keep an eye on with regards to points crud!. In all honesty you'll note commonly excellent in addition to significant. Get pleasure from this original exclusive with regards to chattering more quickly substantial cell phone pc prepare and also the idea usually is pc prepare specifics in addition to variables.

get unlimited free cheats and hack tool for brave frontier game from this webpage.click to get them online from the url below.

03/17/2015 6:19am

Having stability is the dream of everybody. But this dream can only be achieved by education as it is only education that will not let you stumble through the hardships of life and enables you to stand on your own feet.