At Marsh's Library in Dublin, cages line the back wall. Each cage is just wide enough to hold a small desk and chair and a floor to ceiling bookcase lined and stacked and jammed with massive leatherbound tomes, their Latin titles barely legible on their thick, dust free spines. The librarian who let me in during his lunch hour, "just for a quick peek," said that in the early 1700's, when Marsh's was founded as the first public library in Ireland, scholars were locked in. The books were too expensive, too precious to risk theft or damage. If you wanted to study, you squeezed behind that desk and worked by carefully-regulated candlelight and shouted for the librarian when you wanted to be released.

Gazing through the bars and wire into the scholars' cages, I thought about knowledge and what it must have meant to read and learn when this was what it took. Before the internet and e-readers, before Amazon.com and mass market paperbacks, before modern printing and education systems, Marsh's Library, with its cages and locks and keys, made information comparatively accessible.

Three hundred years later, information is cheap for most of us, but for many, the public library remains one of very few affordable sources of information. In my home state of Florida, the governor says that public libraries are unnecessary these days because everything is available online. The governor must not have visited many libraries, or he would have seen the lines of people waiting to use the internet. Even in a digital age, the library offers access to knowledge that is unavailable elsewhere. (Philip Pullman wrote about this, more eloquently than I can, here.)

Like many people who grew up in low income families, I know this firsthand. I was no scholar, and the public library of my small, depressed home town was no great citadel of learning, but, to me--a gawky kid from a dirt road in Frostproof, Florida--it was my access point, my key. The library was the only place I had ever been where I could have whatever I wanted. It is a cliche to say that the library opened up a world of knowledge and experience to me, that it started my journey in books to places I could never have imagined, but it's true.

There are cages in Marsh's Library in Dublin, but I wonder how many of those scholars heard the lock click behind them and felt, maybe for the first time, totally free.

Comments

Mistie
04/17/2013 1:38pm

Beautiful, Amy. Three cheers for libraries!

04/17/2013 2:49pm

Thanks, sis.

08/25/2014 2:21pm

I found this informative and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and knowledge able.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

08/30/2014 7:39am

Marsh is a well renowned and the first public library in Ireland that have its complete history to provide the quality books to students and the people who love the book reading. It's my pleasure to read this post about the library that have a great history. If we educate more about this Marsh library to the people we can create more visitors to the library it is good for the people to know about its history.

09/03/2014 3:05am

Now and then I’ll stumble across a post like this and I’ll recall that there really are still interesting pages on the web. ^_^. Thanks.

Thanks for the article. Marsh's Library in Dublin is great for the students to get the books from there for the reading purpose. many people use these great resources for their reading purpose that is a great way of reading books. Most of the times the students that have a lot of reference books to read these types of great library can help them to make their education in a better way.

10/03/2014 12:50am

Oral health is the most important and many students in their education life do not take care of their teeth. That cause a big hygiene issue. If you are looking for the best dental treatment Cosmetic Dentistry Abroad can help you.

10/09/2014 9:40am

I am sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other related posts just to find what I was looking for. Many thanks!

10/28/2014 6:49pm

Written work or writing to be finished, issues to be unraveled, a school undertaking to be fabricated, for example, a diorama or showcase or different aptitudes to be rehearsed.

thank you of some of the articles I find this is one of the very interesting article to read, I like this possible for people not important but very useful for us to read